Sunday 10 April 2016

Character: Dreading Locks

I was nervous of modeling hair from the offset, as it's something that I've never attempted before.

I started by selecting faces on top of the head where the hairline would be, then duplicating and extruding out this simple shape on which to build upon. After attempting to merge shapes to make the hair, I found that extruding stands from the mesh was more effective, and complimented the stylised shape in the reference.



The base of the hair was starting to take shape, but I was encouraged to smooth the mesh to make it more visually appealing.

 

I used a coloured texture to help define the hair from the head, and adjusted verts by hand  as there where many that were too close together and could clip through the faces on the other side of the shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment